Herdsperson-150 H/F Cows-Dorset-TJweb1869
Herdsperson-150 H/F Cows-Dorset-TJweb1869, Dorset
We have a new contract vacancy for a herdsperson to take responsibility for and assist with all aspects of the daily routine on this family farm just outside Shaftesbury.
Duties will include milking, herd health; record keeping, foot trimming and AI would be an advantage.
Cows are calved all year round and are fed a TMR and currently yield in excess of 8500ltrs. The unit has a well maintained 12/12 DTL HB parlour with ACR’s, ADF and milk meters and the in parlour feeding is used to supplement the TMR. The housing is in cubicles with mattress, lime and chopped straw with generous passage widths which provide a comfortable environment for the cows. Recent investment has seen significant improvement in feed area by roofing and the introduction of Heat Time collars whilst further planned investment is to include tracks and auto shedding.
The package will include regular time off, salary to reflect experience and a fully refurbished rent/council tax free 3 bed-room semi-detached house on the unit with c/h and d/g.
The farm is located a few miles outside the market town of Shaftsbury. It has very easy access to the A30 and A303 and main line rail networks and very good local schools.
Causeway Farm is a traditionally run family farm and is home to a very well-bred herd of 150 H/F cows currently yielding in excess of 8500ltrs. The farm extends to 400 acres and this area is entirely dedicated to forage production in the form of grass and maize. Herd replacements will be all home reared and there is a very good track network and paddock grazing system to maximise the use of grazed grass.
• All year round calving
• Yields over 8500ltrs
• 12/12 DTL HB parlour with milk meters
• ACR’s, ADF and in parlour feeders
• Chopped straw bedded cubicle housing & TMR feeding
• NMR recorded
• To assist with the day to day management of the dairy unit.
• To take responsibility for the welfare and management of both the milking herd and the young / dry stock.
• To ensure all stock are cared for to the highest standards of husbandry in accordance with the Herd Health Policy.
• To be responsible for the monitoring and control of lameness / routine foot trimming, heat detection and calving etc.
• To ensure the cows are milked in accordance with farm policy including frequency and cell count / bactoscan management.
• To maintain all statutory and managerial records.
• Youngstock and general stock work.
A fully refurbished 3 bed semi- detached cottage with large garden, c/h and d/g is available on farm and will be free from rent, rates and council tax.
An excellent package is on offer for the right candidate to include generous salary, regular time off and good relief.
This is an excellent opportunity for a forward thinking Herdsperson committed to quality milk production. It will require a high level of stockmanship and attention to detail in order to meet the demands of today’s milk buyers. Communication skills will be vital together with a good mix of technical expertise and practical ability.
For an informal discussion please contact Trevor Jolley on 07766 912481.
There are no attachments.